Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grandparents

If your baby is "beautiful and perfect, never cries or fusses, sleeps on schedule and burps on demand, an angel all the time," you're the grandparent.
~Teresa Bloomingdale





Family is the most important thing in my life, and Carter is so lucky to have both sets of grandparents and uncles only minutes away.

Since today is the first anniversary of my Grandma Jean's death, I am very appreciative of the relationship I had/have with my Grandparents.


Grandpa Warren died the day of my Grade 10 Social Studies final. June 23, 2000. I was able to say goodbye to him, and I will always cherish that.

Grandma Jean died on a cold Monday morning. November 30, 2009. I was able to say goodbye to her, and I will always cherish that.



Some of my favorite memories growing up were days spent with Grandpa Warren and Granny Jean.

Spending the weekend at their house always meant white toast and eggs for breakfast, spending the night in my dad's old room, throwing clothes down the laundry shoot in the bathroom and playing in the sandbox underneath the big tall pine tree in the backyard.

Their house never really had any toys, but we made our own.
Using an old serving tray we would play restaurant, and the crawlspace was the kitchen.
Grandma's hair rollers would always end up in my hair.
Card houses were built on the carpet.
Old photo albums were brought out and a history lesson was given.


Christmas Eve was always spent at their house, the basement filled with family, food and laughs.
They were the best hosts.

Camping trips were plenty, and Grandma Jean taught me how to play Crib.

Grandpa could always be found in the garage, puttering around smoking his pipe, meticulously organizing shop supplies or making wooden tulips.
He let us mow the lawn, then put divots in the lawn teaching us to golf.

Many afternoons were spent in the sun, weeding and planting the flower beds with Granny.

Church on Sunday, followed by Pizza 73 will always be my favorite memory of Granny Jean.



I have a head full of memories of my grandparents, and I wouldn't trade them in for any amount of money.

I look forward to Carter making memories with his grandparents.

I want him to look back in 20 years and realize how lucky he is, and how loved he is.
Cuz nothing makes me feel better than when I look back and realize how lucky I am, and how loved I am!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great post, Cristy! You totally are going to make me cry :)

    ReplyDelete